During the 1977-1978 service year, the Eastern Canada and Caribbean District was chosen as an outstanding district owing to the significant increase of membership from 108 to 345.
Caribbean Circle K Clubs
The first Caribbean Circle K Club was chartered at the College of Bahamas on April 25, 1977. The second Caribbean Circle k Club and first Circle K Club in Jamaica was chartered at the Mico Teacher’s College on October 27, 1977.
Second Name Change
The District name was changed to "Eastern Canada and the Caribbean District" to reflect the international expansion into the Caribbean District and to mirror our Kiwanis District's name.
First Female Governor
Cathy Ann De Diana, from the Ryerson Circle K Club, became the first female District Governor a year after women were allowed into Circle K.
"Circle K in Canada"
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada hosted Circle K International’s first International Convention outside of the United States.
Circle K International President
John D. Eadinger, from the University of Western Ontario Circle K Club, London, Ontario, Canada, became the first individual from our mighty District to be elected as Circle K International President.
First District Convention
The First Ontario-Quebec-Maritimes Circle K District Convention was held in the Spring of 1959. Michael B. Martin, of the University of Western Ontario was elected the First Governor of the new District.
With six Clubs, the Ontario-Quebec-Maritimes Circle K District became an official District. The six Clubs were University of Western Ontario, Ryerson Institute of Technology, Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, Waterloo College, Carleton University and Eastern Ontario Institute of Technology (the precursor to Algonquin College).
The First Circle K Club outside of the United States chartered on the campus of University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada on March 26, 1949. Its charter number was #0004. According to Past Assistant District Administrator Brian Tackaberry’s archive files, this was the second Circle K Club anywhere regardless of the Club ID number!
The Very Beginning
In 1936, CKI was instituted as a fraternity at Washington State University by the Kiwanis Club of Pullman, Washington. The idea started with Jay N. Emerson, who was later elected Kiwanis International President. His interest led to the building of the first CKI club in 1947 at Carthage College, Illinois.